Friday, July 2, 2010

I started working on this project weeks ago (or maybe months, I  lost track) and just got lazy for some reason and didn't get around to finishing it until now.  I bought these faux bamboo dressers about 4 years ago and after I got them, I decided I didn't like them anymore.  I wanted to get rid of them, but they cost me a pretty penny.  So I decided to just refinish them in a way that would make me like them more.

BEFORE


AFTER




I made a post already showing some of the steps I used to refinish the dresser.  You can find that here.

Here is a quick meltdown of the steps.

The bottom part of the dresser:
  1. Scuff sanded.
  2. Primed with Olympic VOC free primer.
  3. 2 coats of Olympic Crumb Cookie 
  4. Replaced handles with Gatehouse Aged Bronze Pulls from Lowes.
The top part:
  1. Removed varnish with a varnish remover.
  2. Sanded all the way down to the white pine with an orbital sander.
  3. Conditioned the wood with Minwax pre-stain conditioner.
  4. Used about 3 coats of Minwax dark walnut stain.
  5. I started sealing it with tung oil, but switched over to what I used to seal my butcher block counters because it doesn't have a strong smell like the tung oil. (Now I can cut veggies on my dresser, haha) 
It doesn't seem like too much, but it was a lot of work.  So much harder than doing the smaller nightstand like it.

Dark walnut stain.


My bedroom continues to look more complete, still a few more things I want to do yet.




0 comments:

Post a Comment