Wednesday, July 21, 2010


I received an email yesterday that brought to my attention that I have not posted a single personal thing about who I am or what I do besides fix up my house.  So this is a post to show you a little about who I am apart from decorating.

I'm a 40 year old single woman.  I've never been married.  I do, however, have the sweetest little dog in the world. His name is Little Foot, he's a Border Collie mix.  I adopted him from a shelter almost 2 yrs ago in Atlanta, GA.  He was an abandoned dog and had a lot of fear issues. He was actually afraid of his own shadow. I think whoever had him kept him locked up in a crate most of the time.  After many months of working with him and putting  him in training classes, he has come a long way.  He is a very happy and healthy dog today.

I own my own telecommunications business and work out of my home.  I started it in 2004 and it's done fairly well.  I work 40 hrs a week, but find time to do things here and there.  Since I don't have a house full of people to tend to, it gives me time to work on projects around my home.  I love to cook, so I make a lot of home made meals for myself. After dinner, I am free to work on more projects, plus I have my weekends free.  That's how I've been able to accomplish so much on my home in such a short period of time.





An Island off Thailand with friends.

On a beach in Pattaya, Thailand.

One of the highlights of my life was living in Thailand for 2 years.  It was life changing.  I was there teaching English, learning Thai and doing outreach work.  I automatically connected with the Thai people, culture and lifestyle there.  I have never met so many warm friendly people.  Thailand is called the Land of Smiles.  All you have to do is smile at someone and they will befriend you!  I couldn't believe how much I had in common with them, it was very hard for me to leave this place.  Thailand has a HUGE place in my heart and I will go back again one day to visit.  I think sometimes my friends that know me probably get tired of hearing me talk about Thailand all the time  :)   I can't help it, it's part of me.



Meet the family.


As for the creativity aspect of my decorating, my moms side of the family is very artistic. My mother can draw, paint, sew... she is amazing! My grandfather was very artistic, too. He could also paint beautifully and use to be a sign painter. He painted everything by hand, no fancy technology like they use today.
My dad is quite creative as well, he built on a whole room to the house I grew up in by himself.  I grew up watching him make cabinets and furniture, refinish antiques, building things from nothing.  As a teenager, I would refinish little dressers and fancy them up, just from watching my dad. We never took any classes or read the first book about it.
So I guess I credit it to genes :)


I've moved once a year since I was about 19 years old, I love to travel and experience new places and people.  I have never stayed in one place long enough to put down any roots, so now since I have purchased my first home, I'm hoping it will ground me a little and help me put some roots down.  I moved to Mt. Airy, NC to be closer to my parents which are about 30 minutes away from me in a smaller town (They retired to the NC mountains from FL about 15 or 20 years ago).  I usually get the moving itch after 6 mths of being somewhere and I've already felt it since I've been here. I thrive in warm weather and this winter almost did me in.  I'm not going to do it though, unless my parents were to move of course. I think it's important for me to be close to them now and I'm the only child.  So you will get to see a lot more of my projects and decorating in this house for a good time to come.  :)

Well I'm sure I left a million things out, if you have anything else you would like to know, don't hesitate to comment or shoot me an email.  I will try to post more about me in the future and answer any of your questions you have here in some future posts or I might just edit and tag it onto this post and make it an ongoing post like the Before and After post of my home.

With Love,
Jolie

0 comments:

Post a Comment